Thursday, February 02, 2006

Carter and Hamas

I want to say first that I admire Jimmy Carter. He was a bad President, but he has done a lot of good in the 25 years he's been out of office. He builds homes with Habitat for Humanity, and works for peace around the world. He is a great example of a person of faith who isn't using God to spew hate and divisiveness.

That said, I think Carter is wrong on Hamas.

In an interview with CNN, the former President says that the rest of the world should give Hamas a chance. Hamas, as you well know, won the majority of seats in the Palestinian legislature in elections last week. Hamas does nice acts of charity for the Palestinans when they aren't trying to blow up Israeli citizens. Carter believes that Hamas could become a "nonviolent organization."

Maybe, but I kinda doubt it.

Listen, Hamas isn't the African National Congress. Back during the days of aparthied, the ANC worked for a multiracial democracy. There wasn't talk of driving the white South Africans out or anything. Hamas, on the other hand, has called for the destruction of Israel. They don't seem very interested in peace at all.

I'm all for a Palestian state. I want Israel and Palestine to be at peace with each other. And I want to see democracy in Arab world flourish. But not with a party built on hate.

I still like Mr. Carter, but he's dreaming if he thinks Hamas will change.

2 comments:

Heiuan said...

Shadoweyes, exactly. Hamas has been "just a terrorist organization" forever, it seems. Now, however, they have to prove to the world at large that they are a legitimate political party and are capable of being world leaders.

I say give them a chance; besides, it's not like we have much choice in the matter, anyway.

Heiuan said...

By the way, Dennis...I like your new digs.